Did you know January was National Soup Month? I didn't either or I would have posted more soups!
To make up for it some of my blogger friends and I are participating in the…
Houseful of Soups Blog Hop
Check out these 17 soup(er) tasty recipes! (See what I did there?!?) Including my scrumptious and flavorful 20-minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! (It can also be made on the stove or in a slow cooker!) It's a tasty, hearty soup that will please even the most picky eater (I know it did mine!).
I hope you enjoy the recipes as much as we enjoyed creating them for you.
- Neckbone Stew – Houseful of Nicholes
- Sweet Potato + Black Eyed Peas Stew – This Worthey Life
- Easy Creamy Tomato Soup – Big Crazy Life
- Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew – Ashley & Company
- Sweet Potato Carrot Soup – Someday I'll Learn
- Corn Chowder Soup – Day By Day In Our World
- Super Simple Cauliflower Soup – Good Girl Gone Redneck
- 20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – Life of A Ginger
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup – 100 Directions
- Pasta e Fagioli – More Than Thursdays
- Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Mama Harris' Kitchen
- Super Easy Egg Drop Soup – Eat Picks
- Jonah's Float A Seafood Soup – food:life:love
- Instant Pot Chili – SimplifyLiveLove
- Easy Gumbo Recipe – Divas With A Purpose
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup – My Crafty Life
- Haitian Soup Joumou – AnointedHeels
20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Select the saute setting on your electric pressure cooker. Add oil to the bottom of pan and swirl around to cover completely. If you are using fresh onions, saute in the canola oil for about 7 minutes, until tender.
Add all the spices except the fresh cilantro (if using) into the pot and stir. Add a small amount of the chicken broth (1/4-1/2 cup), mix well.
Add in the chicken. Stir to coat thoroughly.
When the chicken begins to brown add the remaining ingredients, except optional toppings. Stir.
Lock lid and make sure the pressure-release valve is set to closed.
Set to high pressure and cook for 4 minutes.
Allow pressure to naturally release for 4 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure. Serve with optional toppings.
20-minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This flavorful chicken tortilla soup can be on the table in just 20 minutes! It's wholesome, delicious, and something even my pickiest eater loves.
Super easy to customize, too! Don't eat meat? Swap out the chicken for tofu or just leave it out completely and switch to vegetable broth. Like it spicy? Add more jalapeno or add some hot sauce (I like it spicy but not all my kids do, so I add it to my bowl.).
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 18 mins
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon canola oil (just enough to cover the bottom of your pressure cooker)
- 1 tablespoon Penzeys Roasted Garlic powder*
- 2 tablespoons Penzeys Salsa & Pico seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated minced onions (or 1/3 minced fresh onion)
- 2 tablespoons Tajin Clasico Seasoning, with Lime
- 2 tablespoons salt-free Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Knorr Granulated Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste if using no salt broth)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- One 32-ounce carton of unsalted or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 14-ounce can ROTEL fire roasted diced tomatoes & green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup mixed peppers (I used red, orange, and 1 small fresh jalapeno–add more if you like it spicy)
- 6 corn tortillas cut in half and then roughly chopped into strips
- Optional: 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (I'm team “cilantro tastes like soap” so I didn't add it.)
Optional Toppings: shredded Mexican-style cheese, crispy tortilla strips, chopped avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, lime wedges, sour cream, hot sauce, and/or fresh cilantro
- Select the saute setting on your electric pressure cooker. Add oil to the bottom of pan and swirl around to cover completely. If you are using fresh onions, saute in the canola oil for about 7 minutes, until tender. Otherwise, add all the spices except the fresh cilantro (if using) into the pot and stir. Add a small amount of the chicken broth (1/4-1/2 cup), mix well, then add in the chicken. Stir to coat thoroughly.
- When the chicken begins to brown add the remaining ingredients, except optional toppings. Stir.
- Lock lid and make sure the pressure-release valve is set to closed. Set to high pressure and cook for 4 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 4 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure. (You can let it naturally release all the way if you aren't in a hurry.)
- If desired, stir in chopped cilantro.
- Serve with optional toppings.
You may substitute 3 minced garlic cloves for the Penzeys roasted garlic and 1 cup salsa for the Penzeys Salsa & Pico seasoning.
If using frozen chicken: add all ingredients (except chicken, cilantro, and toppings) into the instant pot stir, then add the frozen chicken breasts. Lock lid and make sure the pressure-release valve is set to closed. Set to high pressure-cook for 8 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 8 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure.
This can easily be made in a slow cooker or on the stovetop. Simply add all the ingredients into the pot and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 800mg
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28.7g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 30.7g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
Keywords: Chicken Tortilla Soup, soup, Instant Pot, Instant Pot soup, 20-min soup, pressure cooker, pressure cooker soup, vegan, vegetarian, quick and easy soup, one pot dinners, #HousefulOfSoups
Tools used in this post: