Apple Muffins with Apple Cider Cream Cheese Glaze
- Yield: 18 muffins
- Category: Breakfast
For the Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
For the muffin dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples
For the Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 cup apple cider, plus extra to get desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 4 oz room-temp cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Add butter, stirring until incorporated.
- Using your fingertips, finish working butter into flour mixture, squeezing until a nice crumbly mixture forms.
For the dough:
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Beat sugar and the butter in a mixer bowl on medium speed until sandy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, scrape the bowl, then stir in apples.
- Gradually blend in the flour mixture.
- Beat to make a sticky dough, scraping sides occasionally; do not over mix. (NOTE: I made the dough ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. I baked the muffins the next day after allowing the dough to sit out for about 15-20 minutes.)
- Add cupcake liners to a muffin pan and fill 2/3 full with dough.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar crumble liberally on top of each muffin. The dough will expand as it bakes so use more than you think you will need. The first time I baked the muffins, the kids complained I didn’t get enough of the crumble on each muffin.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for an additional 4 minutes to ensure even baking (may take more or less time depending on your oven).
- Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Meanwhile, make the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Simmer 1 cup cider in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 10-15 mins).
- In a mixing bowl, blend cream cheese with the sugar and then add in the reduced cider. Mix thoroughly so it’s smooth, set aside.
- Cool muffins slightly on a wire rack then drizzle with the cider cream cheese glaze.