This “Avocado Overload Chicken Nacho Burger” post is part of the #burgermonth celebration happening all month long at GirlCarnivore and across the interwebs with 100 other talented foodies!! Be sure to follow #burgermonth to check them all out!
While this epic burger creation is my own for #burgermonth 2017, I would love to thank American Lamb Board, Anolon, Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner, Char-Broil, Curly’s BBQ, Cuttingboard.com, Melissa’s Produce, Primal Stone, Spiceologist, Thermoworks, and Veal Made Easy for the kick butt grill prize packages!
I like to consider myself somewhat of a foodie. I love to try new foods and visit new restaurants… fancy places, diners, dives, I don’t discriminate (well, I kind of discriminate against chain restaurants, but that’s another story). While Indian and Mexican foods are two of my absolute favorites, there is no telling what kind of food I might be in the mood for at any particular time. Although you can be almost certain it will have some spice to it.
The one item I am always up for is a good burger. During the summer especially, there is nothing better than a big juicy burger and an ice cold beer. BUT, my family and I have been trying to eat healthier food and burgers don’t exactly scream “healthy”. I was trying to figure out a way to make a healthier burger to satisfy my craving which meant (obviously) it had to taste good!
I’m not a big fan of veggie or turkey burgers, so when I saw some ground chicken at my local supermarket I was a little hesitant to try it. But figured it was worth a shot. Boy was I glad I went against my gut, because I mixed up a delicious chicken and avocado burger that was very tasty and had nearly half as many calories of a normal ground beef burger.
Now, don’t get me wrong, the burger in this post is not the 300-calorie burger I made the first time. Because #BurgerMonth is all about EPIC burgers.
I had to “improve” on the original so I added my favorite spicy pepper relish, “Get Me A Switch” from Cottage Lane Kitchen (out of Chapel Hill NC–because I love to support North Carolina businesses), along with shredded Mexican-style cheese, and some herbs and spices to kick the flavor up a notch. Oh, and then I took some more cheese cooked it on top of the burger to make a “cheese crust”!
I topped my EPIC burger with my favorite spicy guacamole, queso cheese sauce, and some crushed blue corn tortilla chips, and of course, I couldn’t forget the red leaf lettuce and beefsteak tomato.
Mmmm. Perfection! It was a big hit with my girls, too.
Now what is better than a nice, spicy, over-the-top, avocado-filled chicken nacho burger? How about a burger and a delicious craft beer! I really enjoyed Hell’s Belle, from Big Boss Brewing Company right here in Raleigh NC. It is a light and refreshing Belgian-style ale with a clean, spicy citrus finish. It was the perfect complement to my Avocado Overload Chicken Nacho Burger.
How do you like your burgers? Do you have any unusual toppings you like to add? Leave a comment and let me know!
Don’t forget to enter to win that fabulous grill prize package! Check out all the awesome prizes below!
American Lamb Board – (ALB prize boxes 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron and a meat thermometer
Anolon – 10″x 18″ Double Burner Griddle and Grill Pan
Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner – prize packs of beefy grilling-themed goodies
Char-Broil – Char-Broil Kettleman Grill
Curly’s BBQ – Curly’s BBQ Pork Pack
Cuttingboard.com – Olive Wood Carver Board
Melissa’s Produce – Baby vegetable box
Primal Stone – XL Primal Stone
Spiceologist – 4 Rub Grilling Spice Set
Thermoworks – Thermapen Mk4
Veal Made Easy – 5 lbs Veal and grilling gear
Avocado Overload Chicken Nacho Burger
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 small to medium avocados, cubed
- 1 cup Mexican-style shredded cheese, plus extra for "cheese crust"
- 1 heaping teaspoon roasted garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Cottage Lane Kitchen "Get Me a Switch" spicy pepper relish (can substitute with 4 oz chopped green chilies or jalapenos)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Roasted Garlic & Bell Pepper spice mix
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Tuscan seasoning (rosemary & sun-dried tomato)
- 3/4 to 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (enough so the chicken isn't too sticky)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix (gently, so you don't mush the avocado chunks) the ground chicken, cubed avocados, shredded cheese, minced roasted garlic, Cottage Lane Kitchen "Get Me a Switch" spicy pepper relish, panko, salt & pepper, and spice mixes.
- Create six patties.
- Cook over a med-low heat (the chicken will dry out if you cook it over a high heat), about 8 minutes each side, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Once cooked, add a sprinkle of shredded cheese on the top side of the burger, after a few seconds and the cheese starts to stick to the burger flip it over and sprinkle more cheese on the other side of the burger.
- Wait for about a minute or two until the burger lifts up easily from the pan, then flip it over again and do the same to the other side. This makes a delicious cheese “crust” on the outside of the burger.
- Serve the burger with your favorite guacamole, spicy cheese sauce and some crumbled tortilla chips.