Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? In honor of this momentous occasion I decided to share my favorite, most unbelievably-good grilled cheese sandwich recipe ever.
A grilled cheese sandwich can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. I used to make a “normal” grilled cheese… two pieces of bread, some cheese in the middle. Sometimes if I was feeling fancy I’d use goat cheese or brie in place of the american or cheddar jack cheese.
Then a few months ago I found a recipe online for inside out grilled cheese, where you add shredded cheese to the outside of your sandwich to create this delicious, crunchy, cheesy crust. OMG my life was changed forever. So amazing.
Once I perfected the inside out grilled cheese I started playing with the ingredients for the middle. I found several really yummy combinations. My favorite, and my kids’ favorite, is Gouda, Granny Smith apples and turkey. So good we named it the Incredible Inside Out Grilled Cheese.
The only thing that would make this sandwich better is to add bacon to it!! (I FORGOT to pick it up at the store!!)
Incredible Inside Out Print
Turkey, Gouda, & Granny Smith Apple Inside-Out Grilled Cheese
[img src=”https://lifeofaginger.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/mustard-300×300.jpg” width=”300″ height=”300″ class=”aligncenter size-medium” title=”Turkey, Gouda, & Granny Smith Apple Inside-Out Grilled Cheese” alt=”Turkey, Gouda, & Granny Smith Apple Inside-Out Grilled Cheese”]
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Comfort Food
- Cuisine: American
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, I like to use Italian bread
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded (or several thin slices)
- 1/4 cup Sargento New Zealander cheese (or any sharp cheddar), shredded
- 1/4 Granny Smith apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2-3 slices of turkey (enough to cover the whole slice of bread), I used Oscar Mayer Cracked Black Pepper Turkey
- Optional: Bacon (okay when is Bacon ever optional!?!), Brown spicy mustard, if desired
- Preheat grill pan or skillet over medium heat, add butter to the pan.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the buttered side down in the preheated pan.
- Sprinkle some shredded Gouda on the bread, then layer on the turkey, bacon and sliced apples, adding plenty of shredded Gouda between each layer to “glue” the sandwich together. Top with 2nd slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook the sandwich on first side for about a minute then flip and add a thin layer of the shredded cheddar to the outside of the bread, let it sit for a few seconds until the cheese starts to melt and sticks to the bread.
- Add more butter to the pan then flip the sandwich back over and cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese/bread is golden brown.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Cut the sandwich in half and enjoy.
- It’s tasty on its own or with a small bit of spicy brown mustard (but not too much or it will overpower the sandwich).
If you have a large family like me, and don’t want to always be the last one to eat, here are instructions on how to make grilled cheese for eight using the oven and two baking sheets!
In a cold oven, place one baking sheet on the middle rack and one on the lower-middle rack, then heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Assemble sandwiches as normal. Remove one preheated baking sheet from the oven and set it down on the cook top or a cooling rack. Carefully place sandwiches on the hot baking sheet, return it to the middle rack and place the second baking sheet place on top of the sandwiches, rim side up (so bottom of the baking sheet is on top of the sandwiches) and press down gently.
Bake until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully remove the top baking sheet and place the baking sheet with the sandwiches to the cook top or cooling rack.
Serve while hot and sit down and enjoy a meal with your family!