Today is National Hot Chocolate Day! So excited about this. Hot chocolate is one of my favorite hot beverages. You can keep your coffees and lattes! In honor of National Hot Chocolate Day I’m going to share with you my two favorite recipes for Hot Chocolate.
This first recipe can be made on the stove top or in the crock pot. I use the stove because my crock pot’s low setting gets hotter than most and I’m afraid I’ll scorch the milk. If using in a crock pot, mix all the ingredients together and cook on low for two hours.
For those of you who do not like Nutella, like my weirdo friend Sarah ;-), you can substitute it with 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips. I like to use milk chocolate, but semi-sweet or dark chocolate works, as well.
This makes a huge batch, obviously because I have a large family! You can half the recipe for “normal” sized families.Print
Nutella Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 7 cups skim milk (I added a little more milk because I thought it was very rich)
- 1 (14 oz) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 13 oz jar Nutella (for those of you who do not like Nutella, you can use 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour all ingredients into stockpot and whisk together until fully combined.
- Heat on med-low until hot chocolate is hot.
- Whisk before serving.
My other favorite recipe, my spicy hot chocolate, is more of a sipping Mexican hot chocolate… it’s thicker, richer and so amazingly good. Click on the image to find the recipe.