I love biscuits. What’s not to love about a biscuit? All that flaky-tender goodness in a little round package! But I’m a lazy baker. I really don’t like to turn out dough or cut out biscuits, and I HATE to clean up the counters after making any kind of rolled out dough. It’s such a mess!
One day when I was craving some biscuits I decided to try a “lazy baker” method and just put the finished dough in a baking pan. I was really happy with how they turned out. The first time I made Cheddar and Bacon Potato Biscuit Bread they came out a bit salty. So I played around with the recipe until I found the perfect combination of dough, cheddar, and bacon to create a moist “biscuit” bread. It has a texture similar to a cornbread and is especially delicious topped with Cottage Lane Kitchen’s spicy pepper relish! One of my most favorite condiments! Really, I put that delicious concoction on nearly everything!
I loved how easy and mess-free it was to make this dough with my Ankarsrum Original Stand Mixer. It has a powerful and quiet 600-watt motor and this awesome roller with a separate scraper that simultaneously mixes the dough and scrapes the sides of the mixing bowl! Because the top of the mixer is open, it makes adding ingredients super easy and MESS FREE! If you want to check out the Ankarsrum Original Stand Mixer for yourself, take a look here.
- 7 pieces cooked bacon (lower salt bacon is recommended), chopped, reserve one piece for topping
- 12 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup instant potato flakes
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 oz shredded cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 egg, plus 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F, with oven rack in the middle position.
- Generously grease a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and brown. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Chop and set aside.
- In a small measuring bowl mix the cream, egg, and egg yolks until blended. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine flour and butter and let run until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add instant potato flakes, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, bacon, cheddar, salt and pepper.
- Mix for a few seconds until combined.
- Pour cream mixture into bowl of mixer and mix until just combined, do not over mix.
- Remove bowl from mixer and with a rubber spatula, fold dough from bottom of bowl to the top to make sure all of the flour mixture has been incorporated.
- Spread dough into the prepared pan and place in the oven.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and, if desired, brush with melted butter and top with the reserved bacon pieces.
If you want to make biscuits instead of bread, use a 3-ounce scoop, portion 16 biscuits onto a parchment covered sheet pan about 2 inches apart. If desired, brush tops with a little cream and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. The biscuits freeze nicely.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 4385kcal Calories from fat 2847|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 316g||486%|
|Saturated Fat 168g||840%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Lazy Baker Cheddar and Bacon Potato Biscuit Bread