Southern Style Sausage Dressing with Apples and Pecans
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 14
- Cuisine: Side Dish
- 1 (6oz) package dry cornbread stuffing mix (like StoveTop)
- 6 cups of cubed, bread (about 10 slices), toasted
- 1/2 pound of hot breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean) or spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound of mild breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dehydrated onion
- 2 stalks (ribs) of celery (about a cup), chopped
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used Granny Smith.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (like Good Rub Organic Cajun Seasoning), or to taste, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 1 (12 oz) jar of turkey gravy
- 3/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cups of chicken broth or stock, or more to desired consistency
- Toast the cubed bread in 400 degree F oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- While the bread is toasting, saute the sausage in a large skillet until brown; remove from the pan and set aside. Do not throw away the pan drippings.
- Melt the butter in the pan drippings over medium heat and saute the onions and celery until it begins to lightly brown and smells aromatic.
- Add the apple; cook and stir for about 5 minutes longer
- Remove from heat, return the sausage to the pan and season with the salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, sage, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Taste, adjust seasonings, and set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan; set aside.
- In a very large bowl or pot, add the bread crumbs, and cornbread stuffing mix, and toss.
- Stir in the sausage mixture.
- Add the gravy and pecans; gently mix together until well blended.
- Add the beaten eggs, combine well, then pour the mixture into the buttered 9X13 pan. Pat down lightly.
- Pour 1 cup of broth evenly over the stuffing, if desired, add more broth to desired consistency. (I don’t like overly wet stuffing, so 1 cup was the perfect amount for me.)
- Bake, uncovered, at 450 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through and top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Deep South Dish recipe Sausage Dressing with Apple and Pecan.
- Calories: 362kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 701mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 69mg