I never really liked sangria, or at least I thought I didn't like Sangria. I've tried it several times and just didn't have a taste for it. I always thought it was too bitter. Until this version, that is.
A good friend made it for me and insisted I try it. I took a tiny sip and was very surprised that I liked it. It was delicious! Now it's a favorite to serve at parties.
This sangria is light and fruity and a little on the sweet side (you can cut back on the sugar if you like it less sweet).
My favorite trick when making a pitcher of sangria or mixed drinks is to freeze some of beverage into ice cubes, so that when the ice melts it doesn't water down the cocktail. I love using these ice ball molds. The Large Deluxe Sphere Ice Molds by StyloPhora are really great, easy to clean and they don't leak; just don't overfill them like I did :-).Print
Red Wine Sangria
Super yummy red wine sangria
- Category: Cocktail
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or you can use a white wine like a Pinot Grigio or albarino)
- 1 orange cut into wedges (remove any seeds)
- 1 lime cut into wedges (remove any seeds)
- 1 small can of diced pineapples (with juice)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Welch’s 100% Juice White Grape Cherry mix
- 4 oz brandy
- 3 oz of Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh is best, but frozen will work)
- 1 cup pitted cherries (I love Rainier cherries)
- 1 cup frozen grapes
- 4 cups ginger ale (or substitute a brut champagne if you like it less sweet)
- Pour the bottle of wine into a large pitcher and toss in the fruit wedges and pineapple with juice, then add the sugar, grape juice, brandy and triple sec.
- Chill at least overnight; sangria is best when chilled for 24 hours to allow the flavors to really meld.
- Just before serving add the strawberries, grapes, cherries, ginger ale and ice balls. (Feel free to substitute the strawberries, grapes, and cherries with other fruit, like apples, lemons, peaches… whatever you are in the mood for.)
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.