My family has become slightly obsessed with pumpkin bread.
It calls to me when I walk near a Starbucks, and always seems to find its way into my cart at the grocery store. But purchasing pumpkin bread isn’t cheap when you have five little girls who will eat a whole loaf in one sitting. I discovered a pumpkin bread mix at the grocery store and it was an okay substitute for the store bought bread, not amazing, just okay.
Last night I was having a major craving for some pumpkin bread, but the store was closed and I didn’t have a mix on hand so I pulled some things out of the pantry and decided to make my own version of pumpkin bread.
I have to say it turned out great… it even got the seal of approval from my 16 yo who doesn’t really like pumpkin flavored foods.
The best part is, it’s super quick and easy to make. I added some old fashioned rolled oats and chia seeds to add fiber, thiamine, iron, protein, calcium, antioxidants, and omega-3s to the recipe, but I’m sure it would be just as good if you don’t have them in your pantry.
AND it’s totally kid approved! My 9 yo tried a little tiny piece, because she didn’t think she would like it, and then shouted “Oh YUMMY! This feels like cake but tastes like pumpkin bread!” The only complaint was from my 12 yo who didn’t like the rolled oats, but she liked the bread so much she just picked them out.
One trick I discovered by accident. If you mix the pumpkin and the spices together first and let it sit for 15-20 minutes the spice flavors come through more in the finished bread.
UPDATE: I made this with a Spice cake mix (it was good, I added a little more cinnamon to punch up the spice) and Butter Pecan cake mix (super delish, a tad sweeter than the other versions). My kids voted the Butter Pecan Pumpkin Bread to be the best version (but said all three kinds were very good) the Spice Cake version was their second favorite by just a tiny bit.
If you are short on time and ingredients try it this simple recipe!Print
Tasty Tuesday – Super Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 10 Slices 1x
- 1 box white, yellow or spice cake mix
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice)
- 1–3 eggs (see cake mix directions)
- Vegetable oil (see cake mix directions)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a loaf or cake pan.
- Follow directions on the box to find the amount of eggs and oil.
- Combine cake mix, eggs and oil in a bowl and mix on medium speed until smooth and well-blended.
- Add pumpkin and cinnamon.
- Mix on low until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with butter or frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
If you want something that is a bit more healthy and also tastes amazing, use the recipe below.Print
Healthier Pumpkin Bread
Easy and healthier pumpkin bread recipe using a boxed cake mix.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Bread
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (may be fewer, please follow instructions on the cake mix box)
- Vegetable oil (follow instructions on the box)
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, I like the extra flavor, can increase if you like a little more spice)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease two 9 X 5 X 3″ sized pans or three 8 X 3 7/8 X 2 15/32″ pans.
- In a mixing bowl, add the pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon to the pumpkin puree, let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Following the directions on the box, (but do not add the water) combine cake mix, eggs and oil in a bowl and mix until smooth, then add the pumpkin mixture.
- Add the rolled oats and chia seeds and stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.