Here is the amazing Coleslaw recipe I modified for the Food Lion Cook off at the end of August. We didn’t have access to all the ingredients so we had to improvise… using cucumbers in the absence of cabbage and red wine vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar.
It still turned out great. Wasn’t as colorful as the original recipe, but just as tasty.
Things were so crazy at the @official_foodlion #FrugalCookOff I didn’t get to take or share many photos… @melrosefamily, @thebestcrowesnest and I had so much fun and cooked our hearts out, but sadly we lost by 1 point. We served the judges Iowa Tenderloin with apple and carrot slaw and Mexican spiced corn. #latergram #foodie #pork #ad
It is so yummy and easy to make (feel free to use pre-shredded cabbage for even speedier prep). I made a HUGE bowl of slaw and the girls couldn’t stop eating it. I kept smacking their hands away until I could snap my photos. Whatever was left, I put in the fridge thinking I would have it for lunch tomorrow. My kids said it tasted even better the next day! Although I didn’t get to sample it before they devoured every last bite. Hope you enjoy!
Mmm. Are you #jealous? Our amazing #dinner. Iowa tenderloin, tangy apple slaw and Elote (Mexican corn on the cob). #FoodLion #FrugalCookOff #FoodBlogger #foodie #fresh #homecooking A photo posted by Kate, My Mommy Brain (@mym0mmybrain) on
A sweet and tart apple and cabbage slaw in a creamy maple Dijon dressing. Note: I used a gala apple and a Granny Smith apple, but any sweet and tart apple would work. Tip: Use a mandolin to quickly prep the ingredients. I didn't actually measure the cabbage, I just eyeballed it.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- FOR THE SLAW:
- 2 apples, julienned
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly (optional, I didn't use)
- FOR THE CREAMY MAPLE DIJON DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the yogurt, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Place dressing in the refrigerator while prepping the other ingredients.
- Julienne the apples, carrot and red pepper.
- Shred the cabbage.
- Mix everything together in a large bowl and toss in the dressing.
- You can serve right away or make ahead and refrigerate until ready to use.
If you have a Food Lion close by, check out these great coupons available.