Last year I tagged along with my husband Colm to a work conference in San Antonio. Our first vacation without the kids in over 14 years! We had a lot of fun exploring San Antonio, strolling along the Riverwalk and visiting historic places like The Alamo. (We stayed at a haunted hotel, The Menger Hotel right across the road from The Alamo. But the only thing that haunted us was the boys basketball tournament participants that were staying in the rooms above ours, lol.) While we were in San Antonio I became obsessed with Tortilla Soup. I ordered it nearly everywhere we ate, along with a margarita! I mean when in Texas, right?!? I couldn’t wait to get home and recreate the recipe.
I looked up several recipes in search of the perfect one. The recipe from Ree Drummond, otherwise known as The Pioneer Woman, came highly recommended, but all the recipes were so complicated with tons of prep-work, and I didn’t have the time or patience for that.
So I decided to create my own version of Tortilla Soup. It was easy, quick to make and so delicious… everyone liked it. And it goes really well with an Inside Out Grilled cheese made with pepper jack cheese.
30-Minute Tortilla Soup
Yields 8 Cups
It's even better the 2nd day!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 32 ozs low salt chicken broth, or chicken stock*
- 32 ozs water*
- 4 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon® All-Natural Reduced Sodium Chicken Base*
- 2-10 oz can Rotel with liquid (I used the mild kind so my kids would eat it)
- 2 cups shredded cooked roasted chicken, more or less to taste
- 2-15 oz cans black beans, well-drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1 teaspoon McCormick's Perfect Pinch Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon La Costena diced chipotle peppers in sauce
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapenos (or to taste)
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced, for garnish
- tortilla strips or chips, for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish, if desired
- Dump everything EXCEPT the avocado, tortilla strips, cheddar cheese and sour cream into a large stock pot, cover and cook to a boil for at least 15 minutes.
- If you prefer a thicker broth, add 2 TBS corn starch to about 1/3 cup cold water, stir until well mixed and then add to boiling soup, repeat as necessary to desired thickness.
- When you are ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls, then top with avocado, tortilla strips, cheddar cheese and sour cream.
*I had several people ask why I used both broth AND Chicken base... I find it gives the soup a richer, more robust flavor, since the chicken isn't cooking in the broth for hours like a typical chicken soup. You can substitute 8 cups water and 8 tablespoons of the chicken base or 64 oz of chicken stock, whatever you have on hand.